Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Doctor Who: Just Who Did Martha Marry?

Just a tiny thing. But enough to inspire Doctor Who fanfic writers the world over. I understand from well-connected-fan-chatter combined with a little birdie at BBC America that in the end-of-year Doctor Who specials, and yes I am eeking this out a bit so that there are no spoilers for the front page of Bleeding Cool, I’ve got in enough trouble for that before and I really don’t want to be threatened by a sharpened sonic screwdriver again… okay is that it? I think that’s it. Okay. Where were we?
Oh yes. Anyway, in Torchwood, we were told that Martha Jones was on her honeymoon. And most people presumed that she was hitched to Tom Milligan, the nurse from Last Of The Time Lords. Well, in the end of year Christmas Doctor Who specials I understand that we will learn that somewhere, somewhen, Martha Jones married… no not Nurse Tom, sorry people, but…
Mickey Smith, Rose Tyler’s ex.

Is this the first time one Doctor Who companion has officially got together with another (in series canon)? Yes, I think it is. There had been some chatter about this kind of thing back in the summer, but a lot of it was dismissed. Well, now it seems that bells are going to chime.
I can see that, I mean who else can you share stories about Daleks on those long winter nights?
The last time we saw her in Doctor Who was with Captain Jack, with Mickey racing to catch up with them. At the time Martha was intended to appear in the next Torchwood series, but the actress Freema Agyeman’s decision to jump to Law & Order: UK with ex-Torchwood producer Chris Chibnall scuppered that, with some series resulting rewrites (we got the joyous wonder of Children of Earth as a result though, so hey, no worries there)








source

No comments: