Friday, January 26, 2007

Helen discusses Dalek dilemma in DWM

Helen Raynor has been discussing the highlights of being first a Script Editor and now writer on Doctor Who - including the time she received an offer she really couldn't refuse.
"There was this hilarious day where Julie [Gardner] came over and said 'Would you mind coming in for a chat with me and Russell...?' she reveals in the new issue of Doctor Who Magazine.
"I went in frantically worrying if I'd made some terrible mistake... and then they started by saying 'Have a think about it - but do you fancy having a go at a two-part Doctor Who...?'
"I had nothing to say apart from 'Please can I go home and think about it, because I'm slightly in shock!' And they were very calm and said, 'Of course, off you go. We'll completely understand if you say no.' And then Russell, evilly, said, 'It's Daleks, and it's 1930s New York... just so you know!'
"I paced about the kitchen at home, and around midnight, when I'd done enough pacing, I thought, well, of course I'm going to say yes - the only reason I'm thinking of not doing it is that I'm scared I will be rubbish at it. I'd rather try it and make a pig's ear of it, than not do it and wonder what might have been. So I emailed Russell and Julie and said, 'Of course I'm going to do it!'"
Other highlights in this issue include the incredible story behind the unmade motion picture Doctor Who Meets Scratchman - with insightful comments from writers Tom Baker and Ian Marter, as well as a full and detailed plot synopsis, and some beautiful new illustrations from artist Brian Williamson. It's a tale of killer scarecrows, a giant game of pinball, the Daleks, and, er, Vincent Price.
The Fact of Fiction uncovers Fourth Doctor classic Image of the Fendahl; Russell T Davies goes for a 3am walk around Cardiff Bay in Production Notes; plus comics strips and all the latest news, views and reviews.
DWM 379 is on sale from Thursday 1 February 2007, priced £3.99.

No comments: