Wednesday, March 28, 2007

'Who' star Freema's thrilling Dalek encounter

New Doctor Who star Freema Agyeman has spoken of her first on-set encounter with the Daleks that left her thrilled, until a bit of malcoordination left her laughing. Speaking exclusively to Digital Spy, Agyeman, who plays new companion Martha Jones, enthused about meeting the malevolent monsters for the first time: "It was amazing. I'd never seen the Daleks for real, until we did the scenes. I remember one day I walked into the studio and there was half a Dalek in the corner, and I averted my eyes. I thought 'I don't want my first experience of a Dalek to not be in its entirety', but I was so excited when I knew it was going to be a Dalek day.""They came rolling on, and it was incredible," the actress continued. "It was like holding a sonic screwdriver for the first time... or walking into the Tardis, all those moments, it's like goosebumps, heart racing. You think 'I'm actually part of this and I can't believe it'. The Daleks were a big moment."The adrenalin soon turned to laughter during filming courtesy of some dodgy driving skills, as Agyeman explains: "Moments later, two of them were sort of turning around and they both turned at the same time and bumped each other! And then you heard the voice from inside go 'oh, sorry!', [from] the men that were operating them, and I laughed and I thought that just killed any menace they had!"

No comments: