Friday, April 13, 2007

'Who' star Freema's joy at meeting Shakespeare

Freema Agyeman has spoken about her joy at travelling back to Shakespearean times and The Bard's attempts to give her a smelly snog.

The actress, who plays new companion Martha Jones in the time travelling show, told Digital Spy about her incredible experience filming 'The Shakespeare Code': "I stood on the stage with The Doctor on one side and Shakespeare on the other and that was one of my moments of 'I can't quite believe this'... I loved that Jacobean Shakespearian Elizabethan era. If I could have picked what era I'd have liked to have gone back to, I would have picked that era as one of them. So to get that early on, I was jumping for joy. I stood there on that stage and got goosebumps. Loved it."

As for Shakespeare's suggestion of a kiss being rejected by Martha on the grounds of bad breath, Agyeman revealed that no Method Acting was undertaken by Bard actor Dean Lennox Kelly: "He's a wonderfully fragrant man!" she joked. "Apparently, Shakespeare refers to 'odour' and stuff like breath throughout his plays numerous times, because it was very prevalent in those times for people not to be so fragrant. So I guess that had to be dropped in there. But no, [Lennox Kelly] is a wonderfully smelling man."

Agyeman also hinted at a return to familiar stomping ground for Doctor Who in later episodes: "We might be in Shakespeare's England one week, but there will be a quarry or two to come as well!"

No comments: