Sunday, February 17, 2008

Louise Jameson Interview - 'Dr Who'

In 1977 Louise Jameson donned a distinctly eye-opening leather outfit to star alongside Tom Baker's fourth incarnation of The Doctor, playing the savage warrior Leela. Over two seasons she flung her knife and poisoned thorns at an impressive array of monsters, such as the dreaded 'Robots of Death', giant rats, killer toy Mr Sin and the potato-headed Sontarans. She's now back reprising her role as Leela in a range of audio plays from Big Finish, so Cult Spy spoke exclusively to the legendary companion at the launch of the new online download service.

How hard did you find it stepping back into Leela's leather boots?
"I found it really, really easy and I think it's absolutely to do with her speech because she never condenses any words. She's never colloquial. Since I hit that rhythm, I was back in the saddle really."

Has Leela changed much since she last appeared on Doctor Who?
"I think the writers have acknowledged that I'm that bit older and have given her more wisdom. Also, because it's on audio she's been able to take control of the situation. She's more separated from The Doctor and much more of a driving force."

Do the audio dramas pick up where Leela was left in the television series, on the planet Gallifrey?
"They're in between stories... I've teamed up with Lalla Ward (Romana) to become her bodyguard. We get on extremely well."

Do you swap anecdotes about Tom Baker?
"When asked, Lalla always says 'he's the sweetest man I've been divorced from', which is just brilliant!"

Do you hope he might be persuaded to perform in any Big Finish audio dramas one day?
"I think it would be marvellous. He was in [Doctor Who] longer than anybody. He has a very distinctive and beautiful voice, so sure. He has a huge fanbase."

What challenges do recording the audio dramas have, as opposed to the television series?
"To be able to get very concentrated, very quickly is the main thing. Especially for a long passage, a monologue. With the risk of sounding like my teachers, it's all about the preparation. If you put the homework in you can go anywhere. Knowing your motivation, your objectives."

Do you think the skimpy leather leotard you wore in the show was at all exploitative?
"In retrospect I suppose it was, but I wasn't expecting it. Now it might be very different. I was going into a big show and it was a shock - all this male attention afterwards. Like it or loathe it, it really gave my career a boost."

There's a family drama on ITV called Primeval in which the female lead stripped off to her underwear every time she was in her flat because her pet lizard needs a hot climate. Shades of Leela in terms of keeping the dads happy?
"Haha! Brilliant! At least Leela [being a warrior] had more of an excuse to wear that costume!"

Do you find it strange that K-9 is now associated with Sarah Jane Smith instead of his original owner Leela?
"I have to confess to being a little bit jealous that Liz Sladen is back, but being furious that she ended up with K-9. It's my dog! But I can see why they've done it, as [Sarah Jane] always comes up number one in all the polls - with Leela a close second!"

Did you think when K-9 first trundled on set that he would still be around decades later?
"I had no idea I would still be involved. It's been 30 years. I absolutely had no idea and I wished I'd stayed on a bit more."

Did you have the chance to stay on longer?
"I had the chance to go back into it to do the takeover, Peter's takeover."

The Tom Baker to Peter Davison regeneration scene?
"Yes, but they wanted me back for a whole series. Me, in my arrogance, only wanted to come back for the one story."

Do you regret that?
"Yeah, I do... [but] maybe I wouldn't have been able to do Tenko then."

Did they want you back to ease the transition?
"Yes, because it's such a loyal fandom that they wanted to keep them satisfied. I just said that I didn't want to do a whole series. Shame on me."

Well, it helped you avoid being typecast as a savage warrior...
"Haha. For the rest of my career. Now there's a thought!"

Do you follow the new series much?
"I liked the recent Children In Need one [Time Crash]... I caught it almost by accident. I just loved the line 'You were my Doctor'. It's something the fans say all the time - 'You were my companion.' It's very touching."

You could say to K-9 - you were my dog!
"Yeah, you were my dog and then you buggered off!"

In the current incarnation of Doctor Who, many elements from the classic series have been brought back. Would you be keen on a return for Leela?
"I'd go back, yeah. I wish they would ask. I really would love to go back... but I'm glad that I had a hand in the foundations, as it were."

Louise Jameson is currently reprising her role as Leela in a range of spin-off Doctor Who audio dramas from Big Finish, which can be downloaded from www.bigfinish.com

No comments: