Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Talking Shop: John Barrowman

The varied career of actor and singer John Barrowman has included starring in Doctor Who spin-off Torchwood and appearing on the West End stage.
He has also served as a judge on talent search shows such as Any Dream Will Do.
But the 40-year-old's latest venture is an album of modern covers including You're So Vain and All By Myself - dubbed his first pop disc.
Barrowman talks about acquiring another string to his crowded bow and why he decided to swap musical theatre for the recording studio.

What made you decide to record an album of well-loved classic pop songs?

I never do anything that people expect me to. I like to try different things and challenge myself. If I sit back and say I don't want to do any more then I may as well retire.

Just because it isn't musical theatre doesn't mean I think it's an album people won't enjoy. That's why it's called Another Side - it's another side of my music.

How did you choose which songs to record?

John Barrowman

I wanted songs which related to me in some way. If I was going to make a mix-tape for you, this would be it. They're related to moments in time when I learned something or can relate it to someone.

Are there any associations you would like to share?

Time After Time relates to a friend of mine who was telling his family that he was gay and HIV positive. He was expecting an outrageous reaction. But when he got home there was a letter from his father and a cassette with this song on it. The lyrics to me are about the unconditional love of a parent to a child.

Are there any associations you would like to share?

Time After Time relates to a friend of mine who was telling his family that he was gay and HIV positive. He was expecting an outrageous reaction. But when he got home there was a letter from his father and a cassette with this song on it. The lyrics to me are about the unconditional love of a parent to a child.

Why have you decided to add another string to your bow?

Well, I don't see it as any different from making an album of songs from the musicals - it's just to a different audience. Let's just say it's the tightening of a bow.

Is musical theatre still your first love?

Musical theatre gave me my beginning and I'll never turn my back on it. I think they possess some of most underestimated performers in the business. That's why I've got involved in the Joseph and Maria shows. I'm talking with Andrew Lloyd Webber about a future return to the West End.

What's the current situation with your other major project, Torchwood?


I'm making series two at the moment, filming should finish at the end of November and it'll go out in January. They'll hate me for saying it, but it's actually doing better than Doctor Who in the US on BBC America.

How do you manage to juggle all the projects you have on the go?

I have a good team around me, and people who understand that achieving certain things in my career is important to me. My partner Scott is a saint.

Do you ever feel that you've spread yourself too thinly?

I've had instances when I've thought I've done too much, but if I've committed to something I finish it. As the first contract, Torchwood has priority, while I've just finished my autobiography and I'll be doing pantomime.

But as my mother says, you can sleep in your coffin - but Captain Jack is the superhuman, John Barrowman isn't!

No comments: