Saturday, April 05, 2008

Naoko Mori ('Torchwood')

from Digital spy

Have your tears stopped yet? In a shock turn of events, Torchwood has been forced to wave a sad goodbye to its most faithful servant. Toshiko Sato - diligent worker, loyal friend, all-round technical whizz - was killed by Jack's wayward brother Gray in a devastating climax to the season finale. But is it really the end for Tosh? We gave Naoko Mori a call to find out how she's coping with life-after-Tosh.

So, how does it feel to be dead?
"You know what? It hasn't really sunk in yet, I guess. It feels very strange because [the show] has still been on air. I haven't seen the final cut yet but I think it's going to be quite emotional when I do see it. It certainly was really emotional on set, filming it, and saying goodbye to the hub and everyone."

When did you find out that Tosh was going to be killed off?
"I found out probably a good two months' before, in September of last year. When I was told, I was obviously shocked and sad, but to be honest, it made sense to me. The show needed a big season finale. It also made sense because Tosh has been through so much. She's come a full circle and had her journey."

Did you have any say over how she was killed?
"I remember when there was talk of Tosh and Owen exiting, and the first thing I asked was 'how is it going to be done?' The great thing about Russell [T Davies] and Chris [Chibnall, writer] is that they keep you informed and have a real two-way conversation. One of the things that I wanted to ensure was that it made sense, and that the connection between Owen and Tosh had the right balance. All through the series I didn't want it to come across as her being this stalker girl with a crush on Owen. I wanted it to be deeper than that, because as a colleague and as a human being she cared for him. I wanted their last conversation to be delicately and well put."

Were you happy with how it turned out?
"I think it was good. I hope we got the balance right. Sometimes when these deaths occur, one of the dangers is that it's just done for shock value. I wanted it to be shocking, but not just for the sake of that. Hopefully it comes across that way. It wasn't in vain and there was a purpose."

Tosh's final goodbye message was very emotional too, wasn't it?
"I think when I read that I was bawling my eyes out. To me, that was the icing on the cake. It was just so Tosh, in a nutshell. Having talked to Russell and Chris about it before, that just nailed it for me. In retrospect, I couldn't have asked for more. It was a really lovely moment."

What do you think was going through Tosh's head as she knew she was dying?
"Hmm. I'm trying to remember how I felt as Tosh. I remember feeling fairly sort of peaceful about it. She'd come to terms with a lot of things. Of course she didn't want to die, but it was almost as if she'd come full circle and reached a point where she'd been through everything she could. It broke her heart not to be able to rescue Owen but at the end of it she felt at peace. Like she said in her video, 'thankyou'. Without Torchwood, she would have just stayed at the Ministry of Defence, plodding away in her glasses and big jumper."

All this said, do you think the team will be using the glove on Tosh next series?
"Hahaha! I hope so. Never say never. There has been talk and we've kind of left that open and in the air. It would be nice, wouldn't it?"

Would you want to go back? It's kind of been wrapped up as it is.
"Torchwood has been the most phenomenal experience for me, as a person and as an actor. It's certainly changed my life! I would never say no to [going back], but as I've always said, I want to make sure it's done for the right reason. It all depends on the story and should not just for the sake of it. If they do then I'm sure it will be, because it's Russell and the great team of writers he has. We'll just have to see, I guess. Would people want to see that happen?"

The many Tosh fans certainly would...
"Yeah, it would be nice. I love Tosh, however imperfect she is, and it's been a joy going through the journey with her. Sometimes I used to get frustrated and want to give her a slap around the face and say 'Just leave it alone!' or 'Don't say that!' Especially all that stuff about Owen. It's like 'Come on, girlfriend. Get over it!' In a way I'm glad that she didn't get together with Owen, because I think it would have been a disaster."

Why do you say that?
"I think it just wouldn't have been right. Obviously they both care for each other, but the work would get in the way, and it would have meant her stretching out to be more open and chilled about things. I think they're better off as friends."

What's next for you now?
"Well, there's a couple of things. There's two projects in the States I'm waiting to hear on and I also have a theatre project in Japan. I'm trying to work out which way to go and sod's law, things clash. So who knows, maybe there'll also be a fleeting visit to Torchwood in the next series?"

1 comment:

luv Naoko Mori said...

I was a little sad when they killed Tosh off in Torchwood, she was one of my favorite characters on the show (favorite if you don't count the guest spot Freema did)

But as stated this is the type of show that it would be easy for her to come back