Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Morrissey: 'I'd love Doctor Who return'

David Morrissey has said that he enjoyed his time working on Doctor Who and would gladly return to the programme if given the opportunity.

The star appeared in 2008 Christmas special 'The Next Doctor', where he played a character who believed himself to be a Time Lord.

Speaking at the press launch of the BFI London Film Festival, Morrissey told DS: "I loved doing Doctor Who, I really did.

"In my total naivety I wasn't prepared for how mad it would get. People were camping out in my garden and so on. Russell [T. Davies] asked me to do this thing where it might be you, it might not be you, and I said yes. He said 'Don't tell anyone'. I said, 'Well, I'll tell my kids'. He said, 'No, don't tell your kids!'.

"It was really weird. My kids were coming home from school saying, 'Are you going to be Doctor Who?' and I said, 'I can't say. Do your homework and I might tell you!' I was on breakfast TV and it was like being on Jeremy Paxman, they were really grilling me about it."

He continued: "It was one of the happiest jobs I've ever done. It's so well run down there and I also had the pleasure of working with David [Tennant] again. We were somewhere, and I got out the car and it was like being a member of Take That. There were thousands of people. People shouting, screaming at him.

"David takes on the role of the Doctor not just as his character... he does the whole thing. Signing photographs, people bringing their kids to set, stuff like that. He really embraced the whole ambassadorial thing about being Doctor Who. I loved working with him, he was great."

Morrissey added: "We filmed the Christmas special at the end of an eight-month run for him. He was first man on set, always making sure everyone's alright. I was full of admiration for him. So if they wanted me to do it again I'd be well up for it."

No comments: