Thursday, August 28, 2014

The new Doctor was thinking of cosplayers when he chose his new outfit...

On top of being a fantastic choice for the 12th Doctor Peter Capaldi is a huge Doctor Who fan. He was asked about his costume choice and answered, “I wanted to wear something that people could emulate without going to any great expense.” Capaldi mentioned an early version of the costume from his  50th anniversary cameo that never made it on screen. “From the start at the back of my head I had a dark thing going. When I appeared in the 50th, which was only this [gesturing at his eyes], we had thrown together a costume just in case, and we had got the dark coat and dark trousers and I thought ‘oh this all looks quite good’.”

He admits to later going through the whole wardrobe room, “We went round with lots of scarves and velvet jackets and floppy hats (everybody wants you in a floppy hat) and I wanted to be starker than that, sharper. But really it’s just a matter of trying stuff on until you feel like the Doctor, and when I tried that stuff on, I felt like the Doctor. I always thought of Doctor Who as being in dark colors, I guess because I grew up seeing the show in black and white.”

Somehow I just couldn't see him in a big floppy hat.....


No comments: