Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Yes, that's Mavis from Coronation Street spreading evil on Doctor Who

As the meek and mild Mavis Wilton on Coronation Street, she wouldn't say boo to a budgie.
But as Lady Thaw, Thelma Barlow will terrorise a Time Lord.
Miss Barlow, 77, is making a guest appearance as a glamorous villain on Doctor Who this Saturday.
She appears on the hit BBC show alongside another special guest, the League of Gentlemen's Mark Gatiss.
The actress played mousey Mavis on the ITV soap for 26 years, before her character left to open up a bed and breakfast in the Lake District. She said recently that she almost turned down the role of Lady Thaw.
"When my friends said that a part in Doctor Who would be good on my CV, I thought, "What do I need a CV for now at my time of life?"
"But then I realised that Lady Thaw is probably the nearest I could get to Lady Macbeth, whom I've always wanted to play."
Miss Barlow, who has two grandsons, added: "And my grandchildren would never forgive me if I don't do this. It's good cred for them at school."
She and Gatiss are the latest in a long line of distinguished actors to appear on Doctor Who.
Previous guest stars have included former BBC political editor Andrew Marr, television presenter Anne Robinson and One Foot In The Grave's Richard Wilson.
This series of Doctor Who, starring David Tennant as the Time Lord, is the third since the programme was reintroduced. Its first episode, screened on March 31, pulled in 8.2million viewers.

No comments: